Re: My impressions on KDE and KDEPIM 4.10

On 21/01/13 10:34, Josep Febrer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As others have expressed on the list, I have build my own packages of KDE 4.10
> rc3, first I based on current debian scripts and also took a look at the ubuntu
> packages and got some missing stuff from there.
>
> I just upgraded from current 4.8 packages from sid. I didn't upgrade all the
> packages just the ones I use most, and I have to say that things went quite
> smooth, KDE 4.10 seems quite solid on my systems.
>
> Also I take my chances and I upgraded KDEPIM from sid 4.4.11 packages to my
> own 4.10 rc3. My initial trouble was that I was using the Akonadi SQLite
> backend and with that backend the migration failed, then I read that this
> backend it's not in a good status now.
> When I switched to the Akonadi MySQL backend the migration was successful, it
> migrated all my mails and accounts, the only thing missing was the KMail
> filters.
> I repetead this migration on another machine upgrading also from 4.4.11, there
> first I switched Akonadi to the MySQL backend and then the migration wizard did
> migrated everything successfully except the KMail filters. The other difference
> here, is that I have various imap accounts but I didn't have any particular
> issue, and in fact things worked quite well, and my impression is that the
> imap support improved..
> Also Kontact, or Kaddressbook and Korganizer, got very good support for CalDAV
> and CardDAV.
> The Akonadi MySQL backend uses a bit more memory but it's much faster than
> SQLite's.
>
> If someone is interested I will reproduce my steps to migrate Akonadi from
> SQLite to MySQL backend:
>
> First stop akonadi with this command:
>
> akonadictl stop
>
> Check and wait until it is stopped with:
>
> akonadictl status
>
> Then I moved the Akonadi configuration and storage directories:
>
> mv .config/akonadi .config/akonadi.bak
> mv .local/share/akonadi .local/share/akonadi.bak
>
> Start Akonadi which will recreate the configuration and it's database with the
> MySQL backend.
>
> akonadictl start
>
> Then if you run either KMail or Kontact it will start the migration wizard, if
> for some reason it fails and you want to start the migration again you have to
> remove .kde/share/config/kmail-migratorrc and also I recommend with a clean
> Akoandi with the steps I mentioned above.
>
> Overall I am really satisfied with this upgrade.
>
> Josep

Hi,
mysql is the default.
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi/Database#MySQL

IMO postgresql would be overkill for an "internal" based store anyway
and some could argue even mysql is.

As an SQL based mail store - considering something like dbmail.
http://www.dbmail.org/
...already exists, a heavy duty database would be justified and sqlite
seems to be supported. I'm not saying its the same "thing" (imap/pop3
server), its an example of where a heavy duty database is useful.

SQLite seems more than adequate as an "internal" local user based
akonadi backend. But they appear to be having problems with it.

IMO a SQL based backend for a local mail client is a bad idea for the
above reason and a decision has to be made to "Really just support one"
and that appears to be mysql. That is to be expected - multiple choices
(of backends) mean multiple work loads.

Not all SQL based databases are the same, even if they support similar
command and statement syntax (SQL standard).

I really liked kmail. Other mail clients seem to have no problems being
self contained and reliable.

J.