Re: My impressions on KDE and KDEPIM 4.10

On Monday, 2013-01-21, Julian wrote:

> SQLite seems more than adequate as an "internal" local user based
> akonadi backend. But they appear to be having problems with it.

My understanding is that the main problem is support for transactions in
combination with concurrent access.
But that could be outdated information.

> IMO a SQL based backend for a local mail client is a bad idea for the
> above reason and a decision has to be made to "Really just support one"
> and that appears to be mysql. That is to be expected - multiple choices
> (of backends) mean multiple work loads.

Since you mention this in the context of KDE PIM I thought it would be wise to
make sure that everyone understands that SQL is not being used for mail
storage.
Some groupware servers do that so mentioning of SQL in the context of mail
often leads to the misconception that KMail would be storing (local) mails in
a database instead of in files.

Cheers,
Kevin