My impressions on KDE and KDEPIM 4.10

Hi,

As others have expressed on the list, I have build my own packages of KDE 4.10
rc3, first I based on current debian scripts and also took a look at the ubuntu
packages and got some missing stuff from there.

I just upgraded from current 4.8 packages from sid. I didn't upgrade all the
packages just the ones I use most, and I have to say that things went quite
smooth, KDE 4.10 seems quite solid on my systems.

Also I take my chances and I upgraded KDEPIM from sid 4.4.11 packages to my
own 4.10 rc3. My initial trouble was that I was using the Akonadi SQLite
backend and with that backend the migration failed, then I read that this
backend it's not in a good status now.
When I switched to the Akonadi MySQL backend the migration was successful, it
migrated all my mails and accounts, the only thing missing was the KMail
filters.
I repetead this migration on another machine upgrading also from 4.4.11, there
first I switched Akonadi to the MySQL backend and then the migration wizard did
migrated everything successfully except the KMail filters. The other difference
here, is that I have various imap accounts but I didn't have any particular
issue, and in fact things worked quite well, and my impression is that the
imap support improved..
Also Kontact, or Kaddressbook and Korganizer, got very good support for CalDAV
and CardDAV.
The Akonadi MySQL backend uses a bit more memory but it's much faster than
SQLite's.

If someone is interested I will reproduce my steps to migrate Akonadi from
SQLite to MySQL backend:

First stop akonadi with this command:

akonadictl stop

Check and wait until it is stopped with:

akonadictl status

Then I moved the Akonadi configuration and storage directories:

mv .config/akonadi .config/akonadi.bak
mv .local/share/akonadi .local/share/akonadi.bak

Start Akonadi which will recreate the configuration and it's database with the
MySQL backend.

akonadictl start

Then if you run either KMail or Kontact it will start the migration wizard, if
for some reason it fails and you want to start the migration again you have to
remove .kde/share/config/kmail-migratorrc and also I recommend with a clean
Akoandi with the steps I mentioned above.

Overall I am really satisfied with this upgrade.

Josep