Re: Private slots and symbols file

On Tue 08 Jan 2013 15:01:52 John Stamp escribió:
> Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask...
>
> I'm maintaining liblastfm, a Qt based library, and I'm using
> pkgkde-symbolshelper to keep track of the symbols.  A recent upstream
> commit removed a private slot from one of the classes, and it's causing
> dpkg-gensymbols to complain about the missing symbol.
>
> Since it's a private slot, and external programs shouldn't be accessing
> it anyway, is it safe to mark its symbol as optional?

From <http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/symbolfiles.html>: if the symbol is a
private member of a class, it is safe to remove it.

So, if I'm not mistaken, you can consider it optional. Or even just remove it.

Now IIRC there is a way to keep all private symbols out of the symbols file,
but that would requiere changes in the sources.

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

--
Without us [Free Software developers], people would study computer science
and programming without ever having seen a real program in its entirety.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/