Re: KDEPIM & Cal-/Card-DAV

On 27/11/12 02:31, Benjamin Eikel wrote:
As far as I know the Debian KDE team lacks manpower and
therefore newer packages will takes some time.
The biggest disappointment with squeeze was the instability
of kmail/kdepim/akonadi, and from the little searches I've done kmail has
a whole of of problems in itself, anyway.  Perhaps it should've stayed
in sid (if that was possible - Currently you are able to purge kdepim & kmail
from wheezy without effecting the rest of KDE).

As far as I can tell kdepim & kmail is still at 4.4.x across all suites.
http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&searchon=names&keywords=kmail

As for kmail in a terminal enviroment, I'm not so confident in it. At least with
thunderbird you get a "I'm open and running somewhere else"
dialog popup.  With kmail, akonadi bombs it and you have to kill the
mysqld userspace process for each client (not really happy about the
mysql dependency at all).
Luckily I only manage a small office (XDMCP or LDM via LTSP on squeeze)
and forced those that often change terminals to use thunderbird.
Those that aren't as adaptable still use kmail, and I issue some kills when
problems arise - usually it occurs when the client logs out/in and/or is
assigned a different IP.

As for desktop systems that power off regularly, maybe kmail is stable enough for
that?

Jules.