Re: KDEPIM & Cal-/Card-DAV

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Benjamin Eikel <debian@eikel.org> wrote:
> Am Montag, 26. November 2012, 16:11:21 schrieb Kevin Krammer:

>> > Yes,  I agree the state of KMAIL in Wheezy is really bad.. It's *VERY*
>> > easy to make it crash 10-15 times an hour with normal operation of the
>> > program.  I've also resorted to just removing it and running ice dove
>> > which is easily 1000x better in features and never crashes.
>>
>> Is this a different version than the one in Unstable?
>> Because the one in Unstable does not show that kind of behavior.
>>
>> Here it is one the few applications that run at all times (I start it one
>> of the first things when logging in and never quit it until I log out) and
>> this laptop often sees uptimes of 60 days and more.
>>
>> I do run it as a component within Kontact, but I would be surprised if this
>> is the important difference.
>
> Same for me. KMail runs rock stable here, too (unstable, libkdepim4
> 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1, running inside Kontact).
> But some of the features of newer KDEPIM (e.g. GroupDAV support) would indeed
> be very nice. As far as I know the Debian KDE team lacks manpower and
> therefore newer packages will takes some time.

Looks to be the same version...

 I'm in mainland China which has artificial connectivity problems with
google's mail servers.  That *might* be the cause of my constant KMAIL
crashes, but I never bothered to investigate further.   Even when I'm
not doing anything with KMAIL, and just have it running it in the
background doing nothing, it will just crash all by itself and I have
to regularly restart it. Again, that might just be because I have a
lot of connectivity problems to the mail server that KMAIl is trying
to use. I've tried doing everything in the book (deleting all of the
user's config files, using a different user account on the PC, etc..)
with no success..  I'm sure if I stop using google's mail servers from
China, the problem will probably go away, but gmail's spam filter is
the best I've ever seen so I keep using it anyway and just gave KMAIL
the boot.

The only reason I end up using IceDove or KMAIL is because gmail.com
won't even load most of the time... At least with IceDove, I can write
something up and queue it to send when it can.. KMAIL does that and
then just crashes some time later, sometimes even losing my e-mail