Re: Squeeze Konqueror Crashes - Need Debug Symbols

On Sunday 22 Jul 2012 11:07:27 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Please note that upstream likely is not interested anymore in bug reports
> for such an old version of Konqueror. Cause a bug might already have been
> fixed long ago.

Yeah, I was afraid of that - though it would be somewhat disappointing for
software that's just 2 years old ..... but we mustn't complain when we've been
given the software for free :)

> I recommend to look at bugs.kde.org for a similar backtrace and look
> whether it is fixed. If the fix is  isolated enough it might be okay to
> the Debian Qt/KDE team to cherry-pick it for Squeeze packages.

I imagine a browser crash bug might be considered for fixing in a Debian point
release .... browsers being so central to the functionality of any OS these
days, and regular crashes being pretty much intolerable.

Funnily enough, since I installed the debug symbols suggested by Daniel S
Konqueror hasn't crashed once ..... I wonder whether this is a clue.

> Otherwise alternative would be to use Debian Wheezy which is frozen now,
> so any really disruptive changes before release are unlikely.

Right now it's true, as you say, that Wheezy is reliable (I have it in a VM) -
but in general I only use Stable for serious work, so I did want to know how
best to progress reporting these sort of crashes in Stable Debian.

> Third alternative would be to test with Debian Wheezy on another machine –
> be it virtual or not – and test for the existence of the crash there as
> well.

Yes, except that this particular crash syndrome is not yet reproducible at
will by me - I don't know what causes it.  On one occasion I'd left the PC
unattended for an hour and when I came back found Konqueror in a heap on the
floor .....

> If so report upstream if not already done. Still any fix that KDE
> developers provide needs to be backported to Squeeze.

I assume they're usually happy to do that for a point release if the bug is
"serious" enough - though I've no idea how many devs are available for that
kind of work.

> beware at least here Konqueror crashes often at the moment.

That's dismal.  Have you tried switching Konqueror to use 'kpart-webkit' ?  I
installed ReKonq just to have a look ... maybe I'll switch to using it all the
time.  I'd use Iceweasel except that I prefer fully-integrated KDE
applications, and I always liked the speed of Konqueror back in KDE 3 days.

Thanks for all your feedback - that's very helpful.

Nick
--
The Tao of math: The numbers you can count are not the real numbers