Re: Squeeze Konqueror Crashes - Need Debug Symbols

On Saturday 21 Jul 2012 15:18:19 Xavier Brochard wrote:

> Nick Boyce wrote:
>
> > (b) the user has to install 325Mb of debug packages (painful for some
> > folks) to acquire the ability to report crashes in a web browser, at a
> > time where the browser package itself is around 1.3Mb !
>
> That is the size of the raphical interface. The browser need a rendering
> engine, a javascript interpretor and some libs which are in different
> packages.

Yeah, I'd been assuming something of the sort - 1.3Mb would be insanely small
for a browser ... but still, no current browser download is more than 20Mb.

Your comment about the other packages involved raises an interesting point: I
notice that most of the back-traces I get have a lot of names containing "kjs"
at the top of the stack, so I'm assuming Konqueror's Javascript interpreter is
mostly to blame (certainly I get noticeably fewer crashes since I disabled
Javascript by default) - which begs the question, which Debian package should
I raise any bug report against in such cases ?

I could guess the bugs should be raised against Konqueror and the devs would
reassign to "sub-packages" as necessary - is that the right approach ?

[Also, I assume that "Crash Reporter" dialog I see is going to report the
problem to kde.org, not debian.org ... is that right ?]

> Regarding the total size of downloads, it wouldn't make a lot of
> difference because konqueror debugging require
> - kdebase-runtime-dbg amd64 4:4.4.5-1      [22.8 MB]
> - libqt4-dbg amd64 4:4.6.3-4+squeeze1      [160 MB]
> - libc6-dbg amd64 2.11.3-3      [10.5 MB]
> - kdelibs5-dbg amd64 4:4.4.5-2+squeeze3      [103 MB]

Hmm ... maybe some of those "all-of-KDE" debug symbols should always be
installed whenever KDE is installed ... likewise, it maybe wouldn't hurt to
install the libc6 symbols on all Debian installations ... oh well, I'm sure
it's been discussed to death on some developer mailing list :)

> You are right that debugging packages are hard to find when you
> don't know how it works.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nick
--
"Firefox 3.6? Dude we're on 8.0 now. You're like 3 weeks behind !"