Re: Squeeze Konqueror Crashes - Need Debug Symbols

On Thursday 19 Jul 2012 08:30:46 Daniel Sutil wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:34 AM, Nick Boyce wrote:
> [...]
>> I've searched packages.d.o for anything resembling a package of Konqueror
>> debug symbols, but without success.  (Searching package descriptions for
>> "konqueror debug symbols" finds 46 other packages' debug symbols but
>> nothing for Konqueror ...)
>>
>> Likewise, doing :
>>  # apt-cache search "debug symbols"|grep -i konq
>>
>> finds debug symbols for 305 other packages but not Konqueror.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what to install so as to get usable crash dumps so as
>> to become able to submit Konqueror bug reports ?
>
> I think that in this case, you have to install the package kdebase-dbg

Thanks very much Daniel - I would never have guessed that package.  I've
installed it, and await the next Konqueror crash with renewed enthusiasm :)

OT: (and FAO Debian packagers I guess)

IMHO there's a packaging issue here ....

(a) it's very difficult for the uninitiated to figure out where to get the
debugging symbols from - there's no indication of the required package on the
packages.d.o/konqueror page - not even a 'recommends' or a 'suggests' - and
the built-in 'Install Debug Symbols' button is, as I reported, disabled ...

(Should I bug report that ? ... surely someone else has seen the greyed-out
button, but I can't see any related bug report.)

(b) the user has to install 325Mb of debug packages (painful for some folks)
to acquire the ability to report crashes in a web browser, at a time where the
browser package itself is around 1.3Mb !

Well much of that 325Mb is required additional auto-installed packages :
kdebase-dbg amd64 4:4.4.5-2      [29.0 MB]
kdebase-runtime-dbg amd64 4:4.4.5-1      [22.8 MB]
libqt4-dbg amd64 4:4.6.3-4+squeeze1      [160 MB]
libc6-dbg amd64 2.11.3-3      [10.5 MB]
kdelibs5-dbg amd64 4:4.4.5-2+squeeze3      [103 MB]

Of course I suppose a lot of this 325Mb will also provide for usable crash
dumps from other packages besides Konq, but still ... why no 'konqueror-dbg'
package ?

Cheers,
Nick
--
I remember it well as I was dating a physicist at the time.