Re: KDE PIM packaging

Hello,

On antradienis 19 Birželis 2012 19:43:12 Valerio Passini wrote:
> martedì 19 giugno 2012
>
> I could understand this point of view if:
> 1 - a tool to ease the migration it's going to be on the way any time soon
> (in the next 2-3 years) before the release of what will be the next stable
> after Wheezy, but if such tool is not in anybody's mind I can only
> complain this decision.
> 2 - this hypothetical migration tool will still hold a meaning, considering
> the major changes that will come in the next future like the entire KDE
> moving from 4.x to 5.x, with likely a lot of new stuff. This will doom
> Debian to be always lagging in respect to KDE releases, to miss new
> technology and to support mixed KDE environment with piece of "old" KDE
> inside. This should scare the developers more than users having troubles
> migrating emails, IMO.

There is nothing wrong with having "old KDE inside" if it works. That said, I
don't claim that pim 2 does not work. We simply don't know it and it's too
late in the game to find out (IMHO). Inexistance of a good migration tool
helps to make the decision though.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that migration won't ever be fixed. However, users will
have more time to adjust at the start of the next release cycle. What is more,
I think somebody will be kind enough and upload kdepim 4.8.4 to backports and
wheezy users will have the best of two worlds (a choice) in the end.

--
Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>