Re: kdebug defaults/build options

Am Friday, 19. August 2011 schrieb Bruce Sass:

> > How about using logrotate for .xsession-errors?
>
> Sure, it is more of a bandage than anything else though, eh.

Frankly, no. IMHO that would be a sensible thing to do. .xsession-errors can
grow indefinitely when people are using suspend-to-* and keep their session
running until some package update needs a reboot. So there's no difference to
the logfiles in /var/log.

That doesn't legitimate apps to produce so many log entries, though.

> Why is Debian's KDE so verbose? Is it a concious decision by KDE and
> individual users are expected to use kdebugdialog if they don't like it? Is
> there a system wide setting so the admin of a multi-user box can set the
> debug/warn/error messaging behaviour for everyone? Is Debian neglecting to
> set a flag somewhere which would quiet things down? Should we be talking
> to the developers of individual apps because it is not really a KDE
> problem?

I have no idea what Debian's policy is, so I can only pass my very own
opinion.

Apps and libs should be as quiet as possible by default. They should only log
assertion failures, i.e. critical problems. It should be possible to launch an
app in a terminal (in the background) and keep working in the same terminal.

Everything other than critical problems should be made available on demand,
e.g. through kdebugdialog.

Cheers,
Carsten