Re: desktop extremely unresponsive (4.6.5 etc.), strange workaround

Am Sonntag, 13. November 2011 schrieb Stephan Hachinger:
> Dear all,
>
> I installed KDE 4.6.5 from debian-desktop.org on squeeze (and actually
> have replaced it now with a KDE 4.7.3 re-compiled from Ubuntu). I
> know, all this certainly isn't "a good idea", but maybe some of you
> have a hint as to my problem:
>
> The Plasma deskop is (with 4.6.5 and 4.7.3) extremely slow -- ie I
> click on the K menu and it freezes for 1min before the K menu appears.
> This is with and without graphics effects switched on (geforce 8200 w/
> nvidia driver). I have also tried (w/o change) to switch off the start
> of all "services at system startup" in the system settings. And of
> course with a empty .kde in my home, and as normal user or as root.
> Nothing helped.

We had it about problems with NVidia drivers before, but I do not use
NVidia cards, so I do not care about the details.

> However, the problem completely disappears when I do not use ksmserver
> in /usr/bin/startkde, ie I replace
>
> #kwrapper4 ksmserver $KDEWM
>
> by:
>
> kwrapper4 kwin &
> kwrapper4 plasma-desktop &
> kwrapper4 krunner &
> test -n "$ksplash_pid" && kill "$ksplash_pid" 2>/dev/null
>
> I have put the .xsession-errors for the first (original startkde,
> "bad") and the 2nd (modified startkde, no ksmserver, "ok") case in:
>
> http://home.arcor.de/stephan.hachinger/xsession-errors-bad
> http://home.arcor.de/stephan.hachinger/xsession-errors-ok

It seems you are running KDE as root user:

kdeinit4_wrapper: Warning: connect(/root/.kde/socket-STEPHAN/kdeinit4__0)
failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can not contact kdeinit4!

I strongly recommend that you use a regular user for it.

On a first glance both xsession-errors looked quite simular to me. Are you
sure you got the right one for the good case?

> If anyone has an idea, I'll be very thankful and he's invited for a
> coffee in case of success (ie some coffee powder bought online & sent
> to him or so ;) ).

The other things I found:

- Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer:
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-T2YWVptAcv: Verbindungsaufbau
abgelehnt

=> But thats even in the ok case. Is dbus running at all? KDE 4 heavily
relies on DBUS.

- wicd-client seems to segfault, maybe try with deinstalled wicd-client?
Which one do you have installed? The kde or gtk variant?

- Akonadi does not be able to start the MySQL database server... did you
install mysql-server-core-5.1 or something like that?

Ciao,