Re: I notice we now have postgresql support in Akonadi...

On Saturday 28 May 2011, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Saturday 28 May 2011, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 May 2011, David Goodenough wrote:
> > > Does anyone know what commands would need to be issued in order
> > > to backup the MySql Akonadi data?  Also where is the Postgresql
> > > embedded data stored for Akonadi?
> >
> > I think this is a misconception. While Akonadi runs a private MySQL
> > server instance, it does not do so with PostgreSQL. Instead, it
> > just creates its own database that is served by the single,
> > system-wide PostgreSQL server instance. In other words, your data
> > will be stored somewhere below /var/lib/postgresql.
>
> That is not what the docs say.  They say that with Postgresql you
> have a choice, and that the data can either be held in a server
> instance or in an embedded form (like the MySql data).  The package
> description says:-
>
> "By default, a local PostgreSQL server instance will be started for
> each user. Alternatively, connection to an external PostgreSQL
> database is supported as well."

Well, if the docs say so. But the only place for configuring the Akonadi
database backend I see is in Akonadi Console, Configure Server. There,
if I choose PostgreSQL, the caption says "External PostgreSQL Server"
and below that there are fields for specifying the connection
parameters.

> > As far as backups go, are you sure you even need to backup the
> > Akonadi database? Is there anything in the database that won't be
> > recreated from its original source? If your contacts are stored in
> > one or many vCard files and your calendar is in an iCal/ics file,
> > I don't think you'll lose anything when you just switch to
> > PostgreSQL. But don't take my word for it -- and make backups!
>
> well knowing what to back up helps.  I would expect it to be
> somewhere under ~/.kde, but I am not sure.

For MySQL, the database is stored in ~/.local/share/akonadi.
Configuration is in ~/.config/akonadi.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig