Re: I notice we now have postgresql support in Akonadi...

On Saturday 28 May 2011, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Saturday 28 May 2011, David Goodenough wrote:
> > Does anyone know what commands would need to be issued in order to
> > backup the MySql Akonadi data?  Also where is the Postgresql embedded
> > data stored for Akonadi?
>
> I think this is a misconception. While Akonadi runs a private MySQL
> server instance, it does not do so with PostgreSQL. Instead, it just
> creates its own database that is served by the single, system-wide
> PostgreSQL server instance. In other words, your data will be stored
> somewhere below /var/lib/postgresql.
That is not what the docs say.  They say that with Postgresql you have
a choice, and that the data can either be held in a server instance
or in an embedded form (like the MySql data).  The package description
says:-

"By default, a local PostgreSQL server instance will be started for each user.
Alternatively, connection to an external PostgreSQL database is supported as
well."

> As far as backups go, are you sure you even need to backup the Akonadi
> database? Is there anything in the database that won't be recreated from
> its original source? If your contacts are stored in one or many vCard
> files and your calendar is in an iCal/ics file, I don't think you'll
> lose anything when you just switch to PostgreSQL. But don't take my word
> for it -- and make backups!
well knowing what to back up helps.  I would expect it to be somewhere
under ~/.kde, but I am not sure.

David