Re: kde menu: How to restore/manipulate?

On 2011-03-05 21:25, Brad Alexander wrote:
Ordinarily, it doesn't seem to be an issue that the modern desktop hides
things on the command line level, how ever, when I go digging for
something, it does get rather annoying not having it in the obvious
location.

I have two kde 4.5 installations. On my desktop, I installed Crossover
Office, which is why I believe broke things. On my laptop, I have the
following categories in the application menu:

Debian
Development
Education
Games
Graphics
Internet
Multimedia
Office
Settings
System
Utilities
Lost & Found

My workstation had a similar menu as well until I installed Crossover.
Now, I have the following categories:

Development
Education
Games
Internet
Multimedia
Lost & Found

...And most of the apps are in lost&found. I've tried going through the
kmenuedit, but we are talking about quite a few apps...

I figure that somewhere there has to be a directory structure that the
menu represents, but as yet, I haven't been able to find it. So what I
wanted to do is to use either the command line or maybe
konqueror/dolphin and manually create the categories, then move the apps
from L&F to the appropriate place.

How would I do this with the kde infrastructure as it is?

Thanks,
--b
Hi,
it is text file:
~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu

That looks something like that :
  <Name>Web Development</Name>
   <Layout>
    <Merge type="files"/>
    <Filename>bluefish.desktop</Filename>
    <Filename>cssed.desktop</Filename>
    <Filename>iceape-composer.desktop</Filename>
   </Layout>

So I guess you can cut and paste app names.
Just to be safe backup 'applications-kmenuedit.menu' first.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic