kde menu: How to restore/manipulate?

Ordinarily, it doesn't seem to be an issue that the modern desktop hides things on the command line level, how ever, when I go digging for something, it does get rather annoying not having it in the obvious location.

I have two kde 4.5 installations. On my desktop, I installed Crossover Office, which is why I believe broke things. On my laptop, I have the following categories in the application menu:

Debian
Development
Education
Games
Graphics
Internet
Multimedia
Office
Settings
System
Utilities
Lost & Found

My workstation had a similar menu as well until I installed Crossover. Now, I have the following categories:

Development
Education
Games
Internet
Multimedia
Lost & Found

...And most of the apps are in lost&found. I've tried going through the kmenuedit, but we are talking about quite a few apps...

I figure that somewhere there has to be a directory structure that the menu represents, but as yet, I haven't been able to find it. So what I wanted to do is to use either the command line or maybe konqueror/dolphin and manually create the categories, then move the apps from L&F to the appropriate place.

How would I do this with the kde infrastructure as it is?

Thanks,
--b