Re: can't shutdown or log out from kde 4.4.5

Hello,

On šeštadienis 07 Rugpjūtis 2010 04:50:23 Tim Folger wrote:
> On Friday, August 06, 2010 3:00:07 pm you wrote:
> > Hello,

> > > Both hal and kde-standard are already installed. I've also tried
> > > running dpkg- reconfigure kdm, but the problem remains.
> >
> > What happens if you execute:
> >
> > $ qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 0 0 0
> >
> > ?
>
> Well, I just discovered something interesting. I have three different
> kernels installed: 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem; 2.6.32-5-686; and
> 2.6.32-trunk-686. When I boot into kde with the trunk kernel, shutdown and
> logout with kdm works fine; when I boot into kde with the other two
> kernels I get a black screen and have to do a hard shutdown (or use
> alt-SysRq-b). I installed the bigmem kernel thinking it would be better
> for my box, which has 4 gigs of ram, but maybe I should stick with the
> trunk kernel. Should I report the bigmem kernel problem as a bug?

Please reply on-list, there is nothing private in your mail.

Regarding your problem, if it does not work with 2.6.32-5-686 (both flavours,
not just bigmem), it's probably a fault of DRM inside the kernel. What's your
video card and what driver are you using? Try disabling desktop effects.

It's a kernel bug.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>