Re: Copying data and settings from old to new computer?

On Thursday 17 June 2010, Valerio Passini wrote:
> > I tried to do that on the old machine. Using a MySQL 32-bit
> > *server* to run with the MySQLe data dir. Didn't work.
> >
> > > Maybe there is another command for dumping an MySQL embedded
> > > database. Did you use a search engine to find something like
> > > that?
> >
> > I was unable to find anything relevant on the web. I'm using MySQL
> > (if I can't use PostgreSQL) for software development and these are
> > details even I am not familiar with, I would expect an ordinary
> > user to have any idea of them.
> >
> > Michael
>
> Shortly, I'd suggest to use a whole backup of your home directory
> it's faster and you don't lose any data. Later, you can start
> removing stuff here and there or cleanup your configuration.

I have multiple backups of everything. The problem here is that they
just don't work on different architectures. Anyway, I have apparently
managed quite well with judicious copying of stuff from ~/.kde. But I
was only able to do so, because my understanding of how things work is
rather above that of an ordinary user.

> About the 32bit/64bit issue. From what I have read around (mainly
> here: http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/212521) you can migrate your
> MySQL db using "dumps" (I don't know what they are, but it seems
> feasible).

Yes, that's what I did for my *regular* MySQL (and PostgreSQL) database
running on a database server. I just haven't found any way to dump the
data from an *embedded* MySQL database such as Amarok uses.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de