Copying data and settings from old to new computer?

I'm getting a new computer in the next few days and, of course, I need
to move my data from the old to the new one.

In the past, I have simply copied copied ~/.kde, but I hope to find
another way, this time. Over the years, quite a bit of cruft has
accumulated in that directory and I'd like to get rid of that. Besides,
KDE has grown beyond its own directory and puts data in, e.g., ~/.local.
-- Is the safest solution to copy /home in its entirety and sort out the
cruft manually?

Also, as I'm moving from 32-bit to 64-bit, I'm concerned if all data
formats are compatible? Specifically regarding data stored in Akonadi's
MySQL and Virtuoso databases (are there SQLite databases around, too?).

So, I'm wondering, whether there is an "official" way of copying data?
What's been working for others on this list?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de