Re: Questions about building KDE from SVN

On Sat March 20 2010 04:32:54 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Dear Developers,
>
> I'm helping in testing the improvements Sebastian Trueg is making to
> nepomuk to fix a couple of bugs. This time, just patching kdebase-
> runtime seems to be not feasible: he asked me to build KDE from SVN but
> I know that this is going to break my system.
> What can I do at this point? Uninstalling KDE's  deb packages and then
> build and install KDE from sources is what comes to my mind.
> Is there any other cleaner and easy way to do it?
> In the case I need to rebuild KDE completely, where I can find
> information about the dev packages I need to complete this task? Which
> is the package that needs to be purged in order to completely remove KDE
> from my system?
> Thanks in advance

Hi Valerio,

I am not a developer, just a user interested in the development of KDE.  I too
am very interested in the development of nepomuk and the semantic desktop.

I am in the process of building KDE from svn, using a method very similar to
what Alejandro described.  I followed the Getting Started directions on
TechBase.

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4

I copied the bashrc file from

 http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Increased_Productivity_in_KDE4_with_Scripts/.bashrc

and changed a couple of paths to point to my source tree, which is under
/home/budr/kdesvn.  Using that script, building a source package becomes a
fairly simple exercise.

$ cd kdesvn
$ source bashrc
$ svn up kdesupport
$ cd kdesupport
$ cmakekde

Once I got a few dependency issues straightened out, I was able to run
cmakekdeall and step through a list of packages in order.  So far the process
has been fairly painless.

I am currently running debian squeeze with a few packages from sid.  I have
the KDE 4.4.1 packages from experimental-snapshots, which required a few
dependencies from sid, and I have had to pull in a few more for the svn
builds.  I also have qt 4.6.2 from experimental.  AFAICT I haven't blown up
anything yet.

I have managed to build all of the major packages from svn, stopping
occasionally to install a -dev package, mostly from the squeeze repositories.
Some of them have complained about this or that feature will not work because
a supporting package could not be found.  I am in process of a second or third
build now, adding packages to satisfy those.

Yesterday I got all of kdesupport, kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdebase, and kdepim to
build with only minor complaints.  I set up an xsession to run the new desktop
and logged into it.  Konsole and konqueror worked fine.  Kmail gave me an
ominous warning about not being able to migrate everything, so I canceled
that.   Back in my 4.4.1 desktop, today I hope to build the rest of the svn
tree.

Hope this helps.

--
Bud Rogers <budr at netride net>