Re: Need for help in patching and packaging kdebase

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Valerio Passini
<valerio.passini@unicam.it> wrote:
> Alle martedě 09 marzo 2010, Sune Vuorela ha scritto:
>> cp ../patch.diff debian/patches
>> echo patch.diff >> debian/patches/series
>> dpkg-buildpackage (-jnumberofcores)
>
> Sune, thank you very much for replying. I have built the packages, but I
> can't install kdebase-runtime-dbg_4.4.1-0rc2_amd64.deb.
> There are broken dependencies with kdelibs5-dbg. I don't know if it's
> needed since I'm not facing a crash in strigi, but just in case, is
> there anyway to install it?
>
> Selecting previously deselected package kdebase-runtime-dbg.
> (Reading database ... 292122 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking kdebase-runtime-dbg (from kdebase-runtime-
> dbg_4.4.1-0rc2_amd64.deb) ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdebase-runtime-dbg:
>  kdebase-runtime-dbg depends on kdelibs5-dbg; however:
>  Package kdelibs5-dbg is not installed.
> dpkg: error processing kdebase-runtime-dbg (--install):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  kdebase-runtime-dbg

Have you actually read the error message? It explains everything.
kdebase-runtime-dbg depends on kdelibs5-dbg but kdelibs5-dbg is not
installed. All you have to do is to install kdelibs5-dbg. Note that
dpkg does not automatically resolve dependencies, if that's what you
were expecting. You need a higher level tool for that, like apt-get
and aptitude.

So,
# aptitude install kdelibs5-dbg
# dpkg -i kdebase-runtime-dbg_4.4.1-0rc2_amd64.deb

Note that it is not necessary to install those -dbg packages if you do
not intend to provide a backtrace of a crash to upstream developers.

Regards,
George