Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

Hello,

On ketvirtadienis 06 Gegužė 2010 23:48:43 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> >  But whether
> >  upstream software meets users' needs is out of Debian scope.
>
> There's a lot to consider, since Debian needs upstream's help in addressing
> bugs throughout the lifetime of stable, and that's easier to achieve with
> the latest release.  But then again, stable needs to be usable on release
> day. "Release early, release often" is great for development, it is not so
> great for stability (both in "lack of bugs" and "lack of change"
> meanings). Sometimes the most recent release from upstream is not best for
> Debian stable.

You missed my point completely. What is subjectively unusable for you, is
perfectly usable for others and the other way round. Debian is not your
personal distro, it strives to keep balance. And balance is towards 4.4 side
you like it or not due to many factors. When Squeeze is released, KDE 4.5 may
be in .3 or later patch release upstream so the point about the latest and
greatest here is completely out-of-place.

Now if at particular time upstream software does not meet your personal needs,
you go and look for alternatives. You talk like kdepim 4.3 was flawless. But
it wasn't! There is no place for "software does not do X, remove it from
stable" discussions here.

> >  Just find
> >  another software/solution which does, develop it by yourself, pay
> >  somebody to develop it for you or ask kindly and wait till somebody
> >  else is motivated enough to do it.
>
> I will, but I see no reason not to air my grievances.

Insisting that others do something (revert to kdepim 4.3) based solely on your
personal grievances does not help productive communication.

> > YOU run a dozen of DB servers,
>
> I'm not the only person that does.  Most users have a SQLite datatbase they
> don't even know about.  People that develop or test web applications
> generally have to deal with a DB as well.  In small shops, the test
> database often lives on the developers work system.
>
> > YOU don't want another one, YOU don't trust
> > MySQL,
>
> I'm not the only one with these concerns.

I've never said that you're the only one. I find myself in the odd position
that I mostly share opinion with you about excessive "explosion" of DB server
instances on the desktop but I still can't help myself to argue. You started
this off on a wrong foot by demanding to accommodate to your needs.

> > YOU say KDE 4.4 is inappropriate for stable.
>
> That is my opinion.
>
> > Nothing objective and
> >
> >  YOU assume that your truth is an ultimate one.
>
> Not really.  I made objective statement about KMail based on observable
> facts. I also voiced an opinion that I based on that statement.

What facts? That kdepim/kmail needs akonadi? That's hardly news. Akonadi
integration is not stable enough? There is still time to improve it. That's
what Ana's blog was about.

> >  If YOU have so
> >  many problems with particular piece of software, look for better options
> >  or read the first part of this mail again.
>
> I have problems with a very narrow selection of selection of the software.
> Specifically, I don't want to need MySQL installed in order to use KMail
> effectively in Debian stable.

It is not like every mail client on the market suddenly needs MySQL. Actually,
kmail is probably unique in this area.

> There are a number of solutions to this.  Newer Akonadi should run on non-
> MySQL data stores.  Older KMail doesn't talk to Akonadi.  Patches could be
> applied to either.  Stable could include software from multiple KDE
> releases, as has been done before.

What I tried to say to you all this time, if Akonadi renders Kmail unusable to
you, switch the client! Akonadi by itself is not a bug, it is not going away!
Take it or switch to something else, simple as that.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>