Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

Hello,

On ketvirtadienis 06 Gegužė 2010 02:13:50 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > Debian packagers don't have that much time to spend on packaging (they
> > are volunteers after all), and hardly they can do decisions about which
> > particular branch is better.
> > They have to package the last one which has
> >
> >  been released, unless has been released very soon and there is no time
> >  for testing.
>
> Stable is going to be with those users for at least a year, probably more.
> They deserve more than whatever upstream wants to throw at the wall this
> week.

Debian users deserve quality packaging of upstream software, good integration
of it throughout the whole distribution and general assumption that it won't
eat their kittens (yet data loss bugs happen). But whether upstream software
meets users' needs is out of Debian scope. Just find another software/solution
which does, develop it by yourself, pay somebody to develop it for you or ask
kindly and wait till somebody else is motivated enough to do it.

> >  Also, is specially hard to decide which branch is better, because
> >  branch A can have application X in a great shape, and application Y in a
> >  bad one, while in branch B the case might be the opposite. And having to
> >  one app has one annoying dependency is a little bit overkill, isn't it?
>
> Just block the KDEPIM 4.4 apps from migrating to testing.  The KDEPIM 4.3
> programs already work with the KDEBASE 4.4 libraries.
>
> Heck, just stop *kmail* from migrating.  Korganizer and KAddressBook have
> required Akonadi since 4.2 or earlier.

Move on. kdepim 4.3 is gone. Given that KDE SC 4.5 might release with kdepim
from 4.4 anyway extending kdepim 4.4 codebase lifetime to 1 year, beating dead
horse (4.3) makes absolutely no sense. I recommend you to face reality here.

> These responses are quite frustrating.  I read Ana's post as "please make
> sure KDE 4.4 is ready for stable".  My post was "KDE 4.4 is inappropriate
> for stable".  All the replies have been "too bad, we are going to release
> it anyway".

Don't you see that you always put yourself in the front in your rationales?
YOU run a dozen of DB servers, YOU don't want another one, YOU don't trust
MySQL, YOU say KDE 4.4 is inappropriate for stable. Nothing objective and YOU
assume that your truth is an ultimate one. Pet bugs are always RC to the
reporter, but yet again, we need to face reality here. If YOU have so many
problems with particular piece of software, look for better options or read
the first part of this mail again.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>