Re: KDE 4.4.3 in unstable

Am Donnerstag 06 Mai 2010 schrieb Modestas Vainius:
> Hello,
>
> On ketvirtadienis 06 Gegužė 2010 23:48:43 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
[...]
> > >  YOU assume that your truth is an ultimate one.
> >
> > Not really.  I made objective statement about KMail based on
> > observable facts. I also voiced an opinion that I based on that
> > statement.
>
> What facts? That kdepim/kmail needs akonadi? That's hardly news.
> Akonadi integration is not stable enough? There is still time to
> improve it. That's what Ana's blog was about.
>
> > >  If YOU have so
> > >  many problems with particular piece of software, look for better
> > >  options or read the first part of this mail again.
> >
> > I have problems with a very narrow selection of selection of the
> > software. Specifically, I don't want to need MySQL installed in
> > order to use KMail effectively in Debian stable.
>
> It is not like every mail client on the market suddenly needs MySQL.
> Actually, kmail is probably unique in this area.

Again. AFAIK KMail doesn't use Akonadi at all. Its the new KAddressBook
that based on Akonadi. And since KMail uses it for address completion...

For the user it looks as if KMail uses Akonadi, but to the best of my
knowledge it doesn't - at least not directly. Otherwise there wouldn't be
much point in the akonadi- / nepomuk-based rewrite of KMail as KMail 2.

> > There are a number of solutions to this.  Newer Akonadi should run on
> > non- MySQL data stores.  Older KMail doesn't talk to Akonadi.
> > Patches could be applied to either.  Stable could include software
> > from multiple KDE releases, as has been done before.
>
> What I tried to say to you all this time, if Akonadi renders Kmail
> unusable to you, switch the client! Akonadi by itself is not a bug, it
> is not going away! Take it or switch to something else, simple as
> that.

And I want to add: It does not render it unusable for everyone.

Even when Akonadi does not start up cleanly, which happens on first start
of Kontact for example as I reported already, I still *can* use KMail. Its
just that the address book function do not work properly then. Although I
didn't even verify this. Cause even when I get the Akonadi startup errors,
KAddressBook shows the list of the people in my address book, its just
ghosted out and not clickable. So maybe address completion would still
work. But even if it doesn't, KMail as a whole actually does still work
then.

Anyway, most important is to file and an all bugs with Akonadi in KDEPIM
upstream ASAP. And that is where I suggest that people - including you
Boyd - put their energy now.

Ciao,