Re: KDE 4.3.5 / 4.4 plans

On Sunday 07 February 2010 11:26:09 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> I can wait, since KDE 4.3.4 works well enough for me. I am keen on seeing
> whether Virtuoso helps Nepomuk to become usable at all.

 I went to Sebastian Trüg's Nepomuk talk today at FOSDEM - this
 followed on from Roberto Guido, Rob Taylor, and Philip Van Hoof
 talking about the Semantic Desktop, SPARQL, RDF and such.

 (Fascinating stuff, and really invigorating and encouraging to see
 such passion and expertise in the flesh - as an aside.)

 Disturbingly, a fairly simple demonstration - just using gwenview
 and dolphin, and the renaming of a file - failed to work.  Sebastian
 was using a fairly archaic laptop, but as he observed at the time,
 the same set of tasks had worked on the same equipment an hour
 earlier during his pre-talk trial runs.

> Thanks a lot for the information. Looking forward to KDE 4.4 packages
> then.

 Jos Poortvliet did a 4.4 demo yesterday - sure, it was a real pain
 that he was forced to use a 640x480 screen, but there were a
 few too many "Oh, this has crashed" moments for my liking.  This
 wasn't a case of "I'm going to run lots and lots of things and show
 you how this handles under load" but rather very cautious demos
 of stuff like dropping into Netbook/Newspaper mode - then having
 a second plasma running that refused to die .. that kind of thing.

 On the upside, he did make some particularly funny jokes about clocks.

 Jedd.