Re: KDE Support in Debian

Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I have been contemplating the idea of switching from Ubuntu to Debian.
>  Even though I like KDE better I use Gnome on Ubuntu.  The reason why I
> use Ubuntu (With Gnome) and not Kubuntu (With KDE) is that I don't like
> how it is more difficult to find help specific to Kubuntu and also
> because Kubuntu is simply not as well put together as Ubuntu.  There is
> simply much more development and documentation specific to Gnome in Ubuntu.
>
>     My question here is KDE well documented and stable on Debian?  I
> understand that Gnome is also the default desktop for Debian, but is KDE
> well supported?

Hi Scott,

I share your feelings regarding Kubuntu, I use kde4 on Debian Squeeze
(current Testing) on my two home machines (one laptop and one desktop).
kde4 is well integrated in Debian, it feels like a first class citizen
and not a second choice. I feel like Debian as been careful in the way
it has put kde4 together, resulting in a very usable, and lately pretty
stable desktop (version 4.3.2 here).
I believe Lenny (stable) is coming with "old" kde 3.5.10, but there's a
possibility to use kde4 backported packages. For me Squeeze is working
fine, you have to be willing to file a few bug reports once in a while,
but on the laptop I tried Kubuntu (jaunty and early karmic), and Debian
Squeeze is MUCH more stable and usable.

About documentation, there is this list ;-) and the Debian kde team
website http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/ , and most of the doc floating
around the web is relevant for general handling of kde4.

Have fun.