Re: KDE Support in Debian

tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
Scott wrote:
Hi,

    I have been contemplating the idea of switching from Ubuntu to Debian.
 Even though I like KDE better I use Gnome on Ubuntu.  The reason why I
use Ubuntu (With Gnome) and not Kubuntu (With KDE) is that I don't like
how it is more difficult to find help specific to Kubuntu and also
because Kubuntu is simply not as well put together as Ubuntu.  There is
simply much more development and documentation specific to Gnome in Ubuntu.

    My question here is KDE well documented and stable on Debian?  I
understand that Gnome is also the default desktop for Debian, but is KDE
well supported?

Hi Scott,

I share your feelings regarding Kubuntu, I use kde4 on Debian Squeeze
(current Testing) on my two home machines (one laptop and one desktop).
kde4 is well integrated in Debian, it feels like a first class citizen
and not a second choice. I feel like Debian as been careful in the way
it has put kde4 together, resulting in a very usable, and lately pretty
stable desktop (version 4.3.2 here).
I believe Lenny (stable) is coming with "old" kde 3.5.10, but there's a
possibility to use kde4 backported packages. For me Squeeze is working
fine, you have to be willing to file a few bug reports once in a while,
but on the laptop I tried Kubuntu (jaunty and early karmic), and Debian
Squeeze is MUCH more stable and usable.

About documentation, there is this list ;-) and the Debian kde team
website http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/ , and most of the doc floating
around the web is relevant for general handling of kde4.

Have fun.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Ubuntu Version 9.10