Re: Qt4.5 vs. KDE4.2

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 22:45:58 Cassiano Leal wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Fathi Boudra <fabo@debian.org> wrote:
> > > Anyone knows if Qt4.5 that's in experimental has those new
> >
> > super-ultra-fast
> >
> > > graphics rasterizer that's supposed to work 200x faster than X sw
> >
> > rendering?
> >
> > You can enable it per application:
> > appname --graphicssystem raster
>
> Thanks for the tip! I would really like it to be the default, though...
>
> you can forget 200x faster :)
>

> Maybe, but in my setup (915GM with two monitors), restarting plasma and
> kwin with raster actually makes it possible to use desktop effects with
> XRender

Some experiiments with this animal:

konqueror: Current version's normal scrolling is very flakey. Run with raster,
get a much larger upper window area with a distinctive artifact. Could not
appreciate any improvements because of slowness of downloads. Everntually
crashed.

kmail: Current version is still a bit unstable on threaded message moves. Run
with raster, also got the upper window artifact. Performance was great until
it crashed.

plasma: killed it and restarted with raster. Repaints of certain areas were
faster. Exercising plasmoids crashed it, came back up with black backgrounds
on many icons. Logged out, logged in in an attempt to reset. First icon in any
tree or series has black background, others ok. Fun stuff. Certain qt4.5 --
plasma problems have been discussed elsewhere but I had not encountered any
until this experiment. Who knows.

As I said, I saw no frame-rate improvements in hardware-accelerated games (but
I believe the desktop uses hardware-acceleration if selected. Previous KDE4
versions wouldt not even start without it being available.