Re: Customizing KDE4

Heyho!

[People on debian-kde: I'm trying to get a pre-configured desktop running,
ideally in a way that will override whatever KDE3 config is already in the
users' ~/.kde.  No success so far :-( ]

On Monday 14 December 2009 20.28:06 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On December 14, 2009, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > # find /srv/settings/kde/profiles/prof0/ -type f
> > /srv/settings/kde/profiles/prof0/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
>
> the default is kept in plasma-default-layoutrc

Makes exaclty zero difference.

How can I debug what config files KDE tries to read when?  Documentation
pointers welcome, too (I despair of using Google, it's almost impossible to
tell which links are up to date and which aren't...)

panel (basically: make it easy on our non-computer-savvy userbase to migrate
from KDE3 by using the full desktop as 'Desktop' folder view, using classic
menu style, and putting some app icons in the panel.)
 -> I'll probably have to switch off some selected desktop effects, too,
since parts of the users work on an NX terminal server over DSL links (this
will be critical for performance)

cat /etc/kderc
+++
[Directories]
kioskAdmin=root:
profileDirsPrefix=/srv/settings/kde
userProfileMapFile=/srv/settings/kde/usermap

[Directories-buehl0]
ProfileInstallUser=root
prefixes=/srv/settings/kde/profiles/buehl0
+++
(I also tried using kde4rc)

cat /srv/settings/kde/usermap
+++
[General]
groups=buehl

[Groups]
buehl=buehl0
+++

find  /srv/settings/kde/profiles/buehl0 -type f
+++
/srv/settings/kde/profiles/buehl0/share/config/plasma-default-layoutrc
/srv/settings/kde/profiles/buehl0/share/config/plasmarc
+++

(all files are readable by the test user and the user is in the group buehl,
too.  Everthing is with the 4.3.2 packages currently available in Debian
testing.)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Jesus is my duct tape.
        -- Robert Lindsay on alt.religion.kibology