KGpg vs. Kleopatra

I just today noticed Kleopatra when I archived and encrypted a folder
from Konqueror (as file manager). Formerly, that was a task for KGpg and
I wonder whether this older program has been superseded by Kleopatra.
Apparently not, as both are there in versions for KDE 4.3.

I didn't look too closely, but obviously there are large overlaps in
functionality. For my purpose at hand, KGpg was the better fit as it
supports symmetric encryption of files/folders. Still, I'm wondering
what the deal is with these two.

Michael Schuerig