Re: GMail in KMail and secure IMAP

Hi!

On 2009-10-14 Ismael Bejarano wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sometimes I suffer from messages being "deleted" (they still appear in
> "All Mail" but are not tagged), it was more frequent when handling a
> large folder with lots of emails and synchronizing automatically each
> 5 minutes. Sometimes the connection was lost during synchronization
> and in subsequent attempts the emails were "deleted" instead of being
> marked as read (the connection lost can be due to my poor upload
> speed). Since switching to manual synchronization this doesn't occur
> anymore, or at least I'm not able to realize it. BTW I use
> disconnected IMAP.
I've got my settings still at automatically synchronizing but upped the interval a bit. I want the
automatic sync since using KMail for GMail was triggered by my wish to get rid of the GMail Notifier
in my browser (too invasive).
And now KMail isn't synchronizing all the time anymore (combined with changes described below).

> I suggest to not download "All Mail" folder, all email are downloaded
> twice if you do that. Also folders with lots of email can be really
> painful to synchronize I've opted for splitting by years, ie
> debian,debian-2008,debian-2007, etc.
Not only have I now excluded "All Mail", but also Bin, Starred and all the folders you see which are
labels on GMail. Synchronization seems to go a lot smoother/faster now :)
And I guess it's time I'd go over my mails and start using the archive feature instead of leaving
everything in my inbox.

Before starting with KMail I didn't even know disconnected IMAP existed, but I'm reading up on it.
Does disconnected IMAP synchronize quicker then 'online' IMAP
> I think IMAP has a cache, and there's a context menu with an option to
> clear it, sorry I can't point it exactly I'm not at home right now.

On the File menu there's an item "Refresh Local IMAP Cache", I've done that (twice) but that
particular msg hasn't appeared (yet?).

> Regards,
> Ismael

Thanks for the reply, it was really helpful :)

Diederik