GMail in KMail and secure IMAP

Hello,

A couple of days ago I configured KMail to get my GMail using IMAP according to these instructions:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78799
It then tried to retrieve all the msgs I have in GMail, but along the way it apparently modified
various msgs and tried to upload them, causing years old msgs to appear at the top of my mail list.
While I don't understand why it would do that (and I think it's wrong for trying) I wanted to
overlook it as a one-time issue.
But every now-and-then I get a popup msg saying it failed to append sth to a msg and gives me the
option to continue or cancel. While neither option is clear to me what it does, it make the popup go
away. The popup occur with the same msg(s) every time, so it looks that it keeps trying to do it.

How can I fix this error/popup from keep appearing?

Also, when a msg arrives, I see it both in my inbox and in the "All Mail" folder and reading one,
doesn't mark the other unread.
Does someone has some tips and tricks how to properly deal with 'issues' like this and reading GMail
in KMail in general?

I also have another mail account which I access through secure IMAP, setup according to these
instructions: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Secure_E-mail
Usually it works when setup like that. Sometimes I get time-out errors. Sometimes KMail (not me!)
changes that IMAP setting to use port 143 instead of 993 (TLS still enabled in either case).
Sometimes the time-out errors disappear when set to port 143, but not always.
And today I send an email, but it hasn't shown up in my Sent mail folder for that account, but I can
see it's there through webmail. Explicitly synchronizing the Sent mail folder doesn't help either.

Why does KMail change my settings without me telling so? How can/should I configure KMail so it does
it's work more reliable (with secure IMAP)?

Thanks in advance,
  Diederik