Re: Am I alone?

El Miércoles 30 Septiembre 2009 12:13:38 Valerio Passini escribió:
> About the complains on k3b, kdebluetooth, nepomuk, some are right some
> are completely wrong. k3b is still there, it's the previous version but
> it's fully functional, doesn't integrate well with the desktop (just
> from a look and feel POV), but weren't you saying that eyecandy are
> unimportant?

Well, Integration and eyecandy aren't exactly the same thing; but you may be right here, ok. I mentioned K3b just as an example of things that could have been done before if all those pretty themes, plasmoids, effects (some of them are more than eyecandy, and add really useful features regarding usability, to be honest) had been considered not prioritary (if such a word exists in english).

About Nepomuk, yes, there are other distros with Sesame 2, but I've tried a way to install it on Debian (I'm going to explain it in a sepparate mail) and well, it's really time-saving to be able to find your files regardless which folder you saved them to, nor launching a search box wich may take mor than a minute to search; but for example Nepomuk doesnt notice my tags, so tagging my files is useless. It is a snap finding files based on filenames, for example, and that's good, but it still seems to have some road to walk. Perhaps, is an issue on my computer, I don't know, but comentaries about its behavior on KDE's forum don't seem to be too laudatory either. So I wouldn't blame Debian; as you say, they probably made the right decission and Virtuoso is the appropriate backend.
My criticism pointed to the fact that since Nepomuk is a real big progress, from my POV (I even undestand S. Trüg "abandoned" the aforementioned K3b for working on such a promising project), I think eyecandy could have waited a bit; and the same goes for Akonadi, which AFAIK (perhaps my info is a bit outdated) is still "half-baked", and for apps that work but still have deficiencies (comes to my mind the lack of a browsing historial or horizontal split in Dolphin or a "New mail arrived" warning in Kopete, for example).

Of course this is free software, and every programmer decide what they want to work in, but some decissions about where concentrate efforts first may affect the quality of a project a lot, and it's comprensible that people who need a solid and efficient desktop for their everyday work still prefer KDE 3.5 or even Gnome.

Regards