Re: Am I alone?

Alle Wednesday 30 September 2009, Rod Lovett ha scritto:
>   Hi Jed,
>
> I am even beginning to enjoy Gnome after KDE 4.x,
> Debian Lenny still uses KDE 3.5.10, and that just works.
> So I less than happy with KDE 4.x also, it is bloated, ?permanently
>  lost the KISS principle and floundering a bit at present.
Features are almost on the opposite side of simplicity. For example KDE
3.5 was really features rich, much more than KDE4. In KDE4 developers
are trying to rationalize the use of databases, avoiding redundancy of
programs, etc... I think they are trying to simplifies almost
everything, given that they must retain some backward compatibility to
help migration, they are using a completely new toolkit (QT4.5), they
want to add powerful features. BTW, someone is complaining because KDE4
is not simple, someone else is complaining because it misses some
features. Who is right?

Alle Wednesday 30 September 2009, Manolete, ese artista... ha scritto:
>  I first thought you were going to complain about plasma
>  configurations disappearing, K3b, Kdebluetooth, Quanta, Nepomuk,
>  etc, in KDE 4, well, more exactly about their inexistence or
>  miserable status 2 years after KDE 4 began to make our "dream come
>  true"; I was thinking "wow, a guy who thinks we have enough eyecandy
>  and it's time to go efficient and useful, and has the b*lls to say
>  it publicly without fear to be calle a troll, or to have answers
>  like 'stick with Windows or buy a Mac', 'KDE is made by volunteers,
>  do it yourself or shut the f*ck up', and such", hehe. But now I
>  think you are not exactly a critic but a very "bad-lucked" guy, :-/.

No, really I don't think that complaining for 3 paragraphs is such an
interesting and revolutionary act to demonstrate that KDE4 is not
perfect. Screaming: "you are not satisfying my needs", in the free
software world is simply useless. Once I had to help debugging ide-cd
driver in the kernel, I was the bug reporter and probably one of the few
people around with the "right" combination of hardware able to replicate
the bug. A developer, simply can't solve your bugs if they are too much
exotic and require "special" hardware. In first place they must know if
it's a real bug or just your misconfiguration. Thus users (experienced
or not) are needed to help and collaborate in developing and fixing
things. Tracking down what's going on in Jedd's PC is a duty of Jedd's
himself with the help of the people in this list, when it's possible,
because we are not omniscient beings. I don't know if it's nvidia to
blame for Jedd's issues: I have five PCs with nvdia hardware, 3 of them
with KDE4. I simply choose which one of them was able to support the
latest nvidia drivers that are required to run all the special FX of
KDE4. In the others I have kept KDE3 or disabled the eyecandies. They
are all working quite well indeed. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I have chosen
properly what software install on the right HW and what I can pretend
from it.
About the complains on k3b, kdebluetooth, nepomuk, some are right some
are completely wrong. k3b is still there, it's the previous version but
it's fully functional, doesn't integrate well with the desktop (just
from a look and feel POV), but weren't you saying that eyecandy are
unimportant? Anyway, the new version is in experimental, so i think it's
not too far from coming in unstable.
On Kdebluetooth, you are completely right. The old one can't work and
the new is completely immature.
Nepumuk, it works on other distributions that don't refuse to package
sesame. This can be considered a Debian issue, not a KDE4 one, even if I
completely agree with the Debian decision.
Given all the above, IMHO most of the criticism shown in this thread
it's unfair.
Bye

Valerio