Re: Akonadi not starting

On Wednesday 15 April 2009, jedd wrote:
>  Fairy nuff.  My gut feel is that we'd be better off making people
> run the MySQL database properly - just make it a dependency, and use
> debconf stuff to set up the database per user.  If we're committed to
> having a MySQL instance to run Akonadi, then I can't see any benefit
> (and lots of problems) in running a dedicated Akonadi-MySQL daemon.
>  MySQL tends to be pretty light on the CPU while it's idle, but it
> sure does like to eat up memory.  And, as discussed, disk too.

I can't help but wonder whether Akonadi and its required infrastructure
is much use to the average user. More specifically, I have a nagging
suspicion that the KDEPIM folks are running away trying to make KDE
enterprise ready with ever more involved schemes for data management,
while at the same time presumably most KDE users don't have a need for
groupware and data exchange features. Yes, pushing Linux/KDE into the
enterprise is worthwhile, but at the same time, people who don't use the
requisite features should not have to suffer for it.

More to the case in point, I feel decidedly squeamish about putting
mailboxes and other valuable data into MySQL. For one thing, the backup
approaches most people are using won't work! Sorry, but you can't just
copy a database with open connections to an external USB disk, at least
you need to create a dump file first and backup that. (Does MySQL ensure
transactional isolation and integrity for the dump operation?) at any
rate, I feel much safer with mbox and maildir. Particularly taking into
account the database skills displayed in other niches of the KDE project
(Amarok, anyone?).

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig