Re: Akonadi not starting

 Hi Kevin,

> There is no support yet to map this directly into a single Akonadi
> resource, however it is already possible to access maildir
> (recursively IIRC) and mbox (coming with 4.3) through separate
> resources.

 Gotcha .. my paranoia running up a bit when I see references that
 describe what I'm doing with words like 'tricky' near them!

 So if I don't make any changes at this end, 4.3 will, when it arrives,
 just work with this mbox/maildir hybrid arrangement?

> It mostly a per daemon overhead, not per database. Something used
> internally by the InnoDB backend of MySQL, can't remember the
> details.

 Fairy nuff.  My gut feel is that we'd be better off making people run
 the MySQL database properly - just make it a dependency, and
 use debconf stuff to set up the database per user.  If we're committed
 to having a MySQL instance to run Akonadi, then I can't see any
 benefit (and lots of problems) in running a dedicated Akonadi-MySQL
 daemon.  MySQL tends to be pretty light on the CPU while it's
 idle, but it sure does like to eat up memory.  And, as discussed,
 disk too.

> I am not aware of any way Akonadiconsole could display which apps are
> not using Akonadi.

 My mistake.  I should have gone back and checked the actual UI.

 System Settings | Advanced | Akonadi Config
 -- std.ics and std.vcf both report as 'no file selected'.

 To answer your next question - yes, I did start from scratch, but
 then (after dropping kontact) copied across my kmail filters, my
 std.vcf and std.ics files, and then started kontact again.

 Contacts and calendar information are both present in kontact,
 so I'm not too worried.  I've been meaning to experiment with
 the Sys-Settings (as above) and telling Akonadi that to use my
 std.ics and std.vcf .  Would this be a sensible thing to do, or
 a dangerous and unpleasant thing to mess with at this stage?

> Well, it is not a KDE service, so putting it under .kde would not
> make much sense.

 Oh, sure, yeah, that's what I meant when I said I can understand
 the reasoning.  It's just that as a long-term KDE user, I get used
 to doing a du -a under .kde when looking for config and data files
 for applications these days .. and get very befuddled when I don't
 find it!  I imagine that's how gnome users must feel all the time ;)

> I am not even sure you need the ServerPath variable, I think it is
> only needed when StartServer is true.

 Yup, I'd expect so too.

 The more I think about it, the more I think you guys should
 consider forcing Akonadi users to have a standard MySQL
 instance running and just plug into it using Debian tools.  I think
 from a user's perspective they'll have the same performance
 metrics, but their disk usage and general 'transparency of
 installation' will be much better.

 I know you guys have probably beaten around this subject for
 a while .. so apologies if I'm bringing up already resolved issues.

 Jedd.