Re: keeping kde 3.5.X base whilst upgrading applications

Sune Vuorela wrote, on 07/04/09 20:31:
On 2009-04-07, Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> wrote:
Hi, some applications that are the reason I installed KDE in the first place will not have KDE 4.X versions for quite a while (Quanta Plus, Rosegarden). I intend to stay on KDE 3.5.X until all KDE applications that I use have KDE 4.X versions or better equivalent applications.

Quanta currently looks dead, for some reason, we have missed rosegarden.

I'd appreciate it if users in a similar situation could explain what worked and didn't work for them in trying to carry out the same goal.

At this stage I've upgraded libraries that were at 4.2.1 version to the new 4.2.2 version, along with some applications, but I have not upgraded the core parts of KDE that are still at 3.5.9/3.5.10. The only running KDE 4 app that the upgrade process notified me of was nepomukservicestub.

Good luck. Note that you now have both kde3 and kde4 using .kde

Quanta 3.5.X will work under KDE 4.X as long as the kde3 libraries are installed, according to Eric Laffoon, the lead developer. He has also stated that Quanta 4 will be out in the second half of 2009.

The other application that I don't want breaking under KDE 4.2.2 is k3b.

I did a fresh install of Debian unstable on a machine with Asus M3A7A Pro motherboard (having fouled things up by not noting BIOS settings before performing a BIOS upgrade - I had to disable all ACPI-related features in the BIOS and also had set SATA to IDE mode rather than AHCI mode). With a little bit of care selecting packages, I was able to install KDE 3.5.9/3.5.10 and some newer applications, using an /etc/apt/sources.list that contained stable, unstable and testing.

Arthur.