Re: Lancelot locks accessing NTFS partition

In <[🔎] 200904091712.11218.variosinftk@gmail.com>, Manolete, ese artista...
wrote:
>El Jueves 09 Abril 2009 16:46:44 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. escribió:
>> How is a non-technical Debian user supposed to know if a bug is Debian-
>> specific or not without installing a different distribution?
>
>Asking in upstream forums to see if users of different distributions are
> experiencing the same problems? From my common user's point of view it
> doesn't seem to me that hard.

Sounds reasonable.

> think users must do some search before flooding Debain mantainers with
> bug reports which may be not their fault, and if we don't want to do such
> effort, well, we have Kubuntu, Suse and other distros mor
> "user-friendly".

The current openSUSE policy is to file KDE bugs upstream unless you can
confirm they are openSUSE-specific.  I find this policy to be a bit
unreasonable, and I was under the impression that Debian's was much better.

I'm willing to "jump ship" to get away from openSUSE policies I don't agree
with, but I'm not willing to do the same w/ Debian.  Instead, I intend to
help.  If wrangling KDE bugs where help is needed, I'll pencil in some time
for it this weekend.

> This isn't of course an excuse to say that users have to
> "obey" mantainers' will unconditionally, but considering the nature of
> Debian there should be some equilibrium.

I agree.  I was harsh, but to make a point.  Maintaining a Debian package
has certain responsibilities that are fairly well spelled out in policy.
But, despite the best of intentions sometimes maintainers cannot meet those
responsibilities, through no fault of their own.  I'm fine with that, I know
I never seem to have the time I need either.  I'm not fine with the
maintainers saying "Our package/team is special, so we aren't going to
accept the same responsibilities."

>I repeat: I'm saying this from an "ignorant", and perhaps wrong, ergo
> totally humble, point of view.

Humility is a virtue that I could use more of at times.