Re: Lancelot locks accessing NTFS partition

On 2009-04-08, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> IMO:
> Even if you *know* the bug is a problem caused by upstream, you should=20
> probably file it on the Debian BTS if it affects Debian.  This way it will=
>=20
> show up in automated reports for the status of bugs in=20
> stable/testing/unstable and persons watching the package through PTS will b=
> e=20
> notified.  Bug reports are actually one of the main metrics used to=20
> determine when a new version of Debian is ready to be released -- if there=
>=20
> are bugs that affect Debian but are only reported upstream, that metric=20
> reduces in value.

Currently, there are around 1400 open bugs against kde in the debian
bts. Most of these are "upstream issues" that won't be fixed seperately
in debian.

There is *no reason* to also track it in debian. The only thing we gain
from it is making the bug tracking system useless for the debian
maintainers as a place for looking for what to do.

It also doesn't improve the applications, as we don't have enough
manpower to proxy them upstream, proxy their question sback to the user,
the users replies back to upstream and .. so the bugs will just stay and
clutter the debian bts.

If you want to read this as a call for help and help working with the
current existing bugs, you are most welcome.

At the current state, all the upstream bugs that will not be fixed in
debian without upstream doing it, is only making it hard to find the
bugs that needs fixing in debian.

It DOES NOT improve the packages in debian to file upstream issues in
the debian bts.

To clean up the bts will probably require around 4 people putting 15
minutes each day into it on average over a half year. Help is needed.
ANd please help instead of telling us how to do our jobs.

/Sune