About ban-unstable-uploads

Hello Debian KDE maintainers,

while preparing a new release for RKWard, I have run into that
ban-unstable-uploads thing. As far as I understand (which may not be correct,
I've been very short on time the past few months, and have hardly followed
discussions), this is so you are free to do some more ground-level changes to
the Debian KDE packages, such as changing configuration paths. Naturally,
that would break any third party KDE 4 packages already uploaded to unstable.

Now the problem is, the version of rkward in unstable is already based on KDE
4 (it was uploaded in June 2008). This version is terribly broken right now
(admittedly it has been badly broken for a while, but things have deterioated
even further, recently), and I'd like to publish a fix, soon. But with
ban-unstable-uploads in effect - well, I can't upload to unstable.

So I'm wondering, how to proceed. Can you give an estimate on how long
ban-unstable-uploads will remain in effect? If that's more than ~two weeks or
so, could you add an exception for rkward, or some way to work around the
ban? Do you have other suggestions on how to proceed?

A CC: would be nice, I'm not subscribed.

Thanks!
Thomas