Re: About ban-unstable-uploads

On Monday 30 March 2009 04:26:24 Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> Now the problem is, the version of rkward in unstable is already based on
> KDE 4 (it was uploaded in June 2008). This version is terribly broken right
> now (admittedly it has been badly broken for a while, but things have
> deterioated even further, recently), and I'd like to publish a fix, soon.
> But with ban-unstable-uploads in effect - well, I can't upload to unstable.

Thomas,

I would recommend you do what you did for v0.5.0b and upload to experimental.

That way at least there will be a fixed version in the Debian archive albeit
this won't fix the version in unstable. Unstable isn't supposed to be fully
working all the time, hence the name.

We are using experimental as a staging ground for KDE4.2 to see what works/
what doesn't work etc.  As you can no doubt appreciate the transition to
KDE4.2 is a complex beast which does take time in the planning.

There was an earlier suggestion that we just dump and run and get everything
into unstable as quickly as possible and work out the mess later.  That wasn't
taken up and we are using experimental and planned migration of libs & apps.

Mark