Re: Upgrade was mostly fine, but a few problems left

El Sábado, 2 de Agosto de 2008, Christoph Burgmer escribió:
> Am Saturday, 2. August 2008 schrieb Christoph Burgmer:
> > - Are the nice app switching effects implemented in 4.1? It doesn't look
> > like the screenshots I've seen.
>
> To answer myself: I found the feature in system settings. All the
> animations work decently, the only problem ist that scrolling through
> webpages is massively slower even if all single animations are switched off
> thus rendering it unusable for me on a ThinkPad with i810.
>
> Does anybody have a good reason why scrolling is so slow and if I can
> somehow work around it? I consider posting a bug at bugs.kde.org

 I suppose that you are using the latest intel driver, currently i810 package
just links to the real intel driver (as opposed to old i810 driver). I've
starting to investigate this issue but I don't have a conclusion yet. Even
more I own a 955GM card so YMMV.

  So far you need to take into account several things. First of all is that
using composite effects may have a major impact on the graphics performance,
it's not the same to accelerate mixed 3D/2D than just 2D. You also need to
take into account the hardware performance, that's something you can't change
unless you buy a newer card, yet more difficult with intel (usually
integrated).

  Take a look at the xorg driver version you are using, 2.4.0 is the latest
intel driver version, where 2.4.1 may come. Also you may be interested in
trying with some other more up-to-date stuff, and provided you are using
experimental, you can try linux 2.6.26 and mesa 7.1 rc3 (packages
libgl1-mesa-glx and libgl1-mesa-dri).

  Do not use packages from experimental if you don't know what you are doing.

  Also acceleration method is important, looks like mature xaa is still better
performant on some cases than newer exa, you can specify which one to use
adding the line:
       Option          "AccelMethod" "xaa"
in the Device section of xorg.conf

  There is also some important development being carried out in either the
xorg server and the driver for improving things, but don't expect it for
Lenny.

  Last but not least, I've heard that there are some major Qt4 regressions
affecting text rendering performance, but this is almost gossip.

  If someone from XSF or any other concerned about this field may have
something more to add/correct.

  HTH,

--
     Raúl Sánchez Siles