Re: Upgrade was mostly fine, but a few problems left

Am Thursday, 31. July 2008 schrieb Ferdinand Smit:
> * How do i added programs (-links) to the panel ?

You can "unlock  widgets" and then drag and drop programs from the start menu
into the panel - just simple.

I'd like to ask some questions too, hopefully this is use to other people
switching.

At first I would like to state that up till now all things seem to work quite
fine. Animation on i810 works fine, logging out invokes some graphics error
which adds an offset to the background, but that seems to be the biggest
recognisable thing. Icons seem to switch sometimes, my start menu K is
randomly swapped for icon "skip one to the left" (as used in audio players) ,
cut/copy/paste toolbar icons look all the same even in my own KDE-app which
ran fine in basic pre 4-1 install (though in menu they do well). The start menu
scrollbar doesn't always adapt properly to the content. You maybe get the
point of general glitches still included. Yet I didn't run into any serious
business.

Why would you definitely switch now:
- Overall KDE4 seems to be way faster than KDE3 on my 3 year old laptop, wow!
(without KDE3 apps running)
- Unicode codepoints >16-bit works (non-BMP)
- Font-substitution of Qt4 comes into play, I can finally read a hugh load of
diacritical marks.

Questions:

- I like the rss-widget for plasma, it seems to be in svn playground and not
included here, is that right?
- KNotes (the yellow post-it notes) doesn't work anymore and the note widget
from plasma is not a substitute as it will even loose data easily, any hints?
- How can I switch my desktops using the keyboard? Ctrl+Tab doesn't do it
anymore.
- Dragon player doesn't play sound here, though KDE notification sounds do.
Videos are played back but without sound.
- Is there a small audio player app, kaboodle equiv?
- kde-l10n-de is installed but doesn't show any effect, known problem?
- Wasn't there meant to be a general Plasma key stroke to get all the
Containments and Widgets into the foreground?
- Are the nice app switching effects implemented in 4.1? It doesn't look like
the screenshots I've seen.

So long, thanks for any hints

Chris