Re: network configuration

On Fri, April 21, 2006 10:18 am, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Freddie Cash wrote:
>> On Fri, April 21, 2006 5:30 am, Felix Homann wrote:

>>> (I would *not* recommend to use the new configuration scheme
>>> proposed by the wpa_supplicant maintainers. It's not useful for a
>>>  system in changing environments. Use the "old" or "deprecated"
>>> init script. There's currently a lot of discussion about this on
>>> the respective mailing list.)

>> Oh good, so I'm not the only one who can't stand the
>> "new-world-order".  Putting everything into the interfaces file
>> breaks all the nice, automatic, "it-just-works" configs I had.

> It might break yours, but it was the way interface control was moving
> before we ever _had_ wpa_supplicant, so it would have been really
> nice if the wpa_supplicant developers had moved in step with the rest
> of the world.

>> What is it with Linux devs that they have to change everything that
>> works to something that barely works for the next three releases?
>> Why can't they just keep the things that work?  wpa_supplicant has
>> been running perfectly on all my FreeBSD systems for almost a year
>> now, and is now broken on all my Linux systems.

> And I've been trying (and failing) to keep all my network information
> in /etc/network/interfaces for three years. -- derek

I can understand putting network-level information into a single
config file.  Things like IPs, routes, gateways, etc.  All the stuff
you need *AFTER* a link is established.

But link-level stuff should not go into the same config file as
network-level stuff.  This is all stuff that needs to happen
*beforehand*.  And these should be able to change without affecting
the network-level too much.  All the network-level needs to see if
"linkup" and "linkdown" events, and then run/load the appropriate
config.

wpa_supplicant works the same as plugging in an Ethernet cable.

For instance, configuring the wireless link should happen before
putting the IPs and whatnot onto the interface.  Creating a PPP
connection or a PPPoE connection needs to happen before running DHCP
and whatnot on the interface.

These should be separate configs and separate actions.  Especially
since "the rest of the world" works that way.  Debian is the only
system I've come across that tries to mix everything together into one
process/file.

----
Freddie Cash, LPCI-1 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca