Re: network configuration

Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:

> fredag 21 april 2006 19:01 skrev Derek Broughton:

>> > network-manager is what I would recommend, but it has just barely
>> > become available in unstable, and if you want the kde applet, it is
>> > only available as an ubuntu package.
>>
>> Is that really working?  I tried it some time ago, and it was essentially
>> non-funtional - but it looked promising.
>
> Well. At least it does automatic dhcp configuration on my laptop for
> my 'wired' network card, with a completely empty /etc/network/interfaces
> (except for the loopback interface). And the kde applet shows a message
> when you pull out the cable and insert it again. So that part works.
>
> However the applet can't seem to actually locate any of the information
> for neither the wired network card or the Intel Pro Wireless 2200 card, so
> you can't actually do anything useful with the applet. It only displays
> the message when you pull out or insert a network cable.

I think I answered my own question anyway - first of all, I've found that
there's a month-old bug about the fact that it can't handle having anything
in /etc/network/interfaces - that's bad!  (Especially after I just argued
that it's _good_ to put everything in there!).

> Thus I can't configure the wireless network, which was the primary purpose
> for installing network-manager. I suspect the problem is that the ipw2200
> module which comes with the stock debian kernel is simply too old.

I don't buy that - ifplugd handles my wireless (ipw2200) connections well
enough, this should be able to.

No, this is still not _nearly_ ready for primetime.  It's working well
enough for eth0, but there's no way to configure what it does when the
network comes up (fortunately whereami is still doing it), there's no help,
if /etc/network/interfaces is not clean it dies without explanation, "show
networks" shows me only "trusted" and "untrusted" - no way to mark a
network as trusted - and apparently not even a way to identify the
individual networks.  If it doesn't work for me with the ipw2200, then I
won't even _have_ a network at home.

I think, one day, network manager will be the way to go.  For now, I'll have
to rely on ifplugd and whereami.
--
derek