Re: Dead keys not working in KDE

On Monday 17 April 2006 19:04, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> I'm trying to get dead keys to work in KDE (all the latest unstable
> packages, incl. xserver-xorg), but don't have any success. When I
> type <acute> followed by 'e', the first key stroke inserts nothing,
> the second inserts a plain 'e'. '`', '^', '~' are inserted
> immediately.
>
> That behavior is specific to KDE apps. In xterm, say, dead keys, and
> compose as well, behave as expected. In the KDE control center I've
> set country to "Germany"; language is set to "US English".

On another mailing list I was pointed to the Input Method setting. And
indeed, when for an input field I change it from XIM to Simple
Composing Input Method, dead keys work for that particular field and I
can enter characters in the way I want to.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a place where the input method
is set globally for KDE. Also, I'm surprised that it should be
necessary to change the input method. Any ideas what's up?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de