Dead keys not working in KDE

I'm trying to get dead keys to work in KDE (all the latest unstable
packages, incl. xserver-xorg), but don't have any success. When I type
<acute> followed by 'e', the first key stroke inserts nothing, the
second inserts a plain 'e'. '`', '^', '~' are inserted immediately.

That behavior is specific to KDE apps. In xterm, say, dead keys, and
compose as well, behave as expected. In the KDE control center I've set
country to "Germany"; language is set to "US English".

Michael

Excerpt from /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "compose:menu"
EndSection

$ locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE=de_DE.iso885915@euro