Re: How to remove subcomponents of KDE?

Hi,

| > tries to remove the entire KDE, too.
|
| Are you really absolutely positive that's what's going to happen?
| What does the list of packages that will be removed look like?

Yes, I'm positive.  I'm attaching the command lines below.

| If I try to remove KDE, I get:
|
| The following packages will be REMOVED
|   kde
|
| "kde" is just a metapackage, and removing this is of little
| consequence.

You are correct.  The command

   # apt-get remove kde

removes the "kde" package only.  The problem is the next step.
Please recall that my goal is to remove all the subcomponents under
"kde-amusements".  So, after removing the "kde" package as above,
I naïvely typed

   # aptitude remove kde-amusements

which did try to remove all the KDE packages (see below).  Note that
I used aptitude, not apt-get.  In contrast,

   # apt-get remove kde-amusements

removes the "kde-amusements" metapackage only, but that's not what
I want to achieve.

Cheers,
Ryo
[Command lines.  ">>>>>" is the command prompt.]

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kde
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 41.0kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 157336 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing kde ...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  akregator amor arts artsbuilder atlantik atlantikdesigner avahi-daemon
  blinken cervisia dcoprss dirmngr dosfstools edict eyesapplet festival
  festlex-cmu festlex-poslex festvox-kallpc16k fifteenapplet gnupg-agent
  gnupg2 gpgsm juk kaboodle kaddressbook-plugins kalarm kalzium
  kalzium-data kanagram kandy kanjidic kasteroids kate-plugins katomic
  kaudiocreator kbackgammon kbattleship kblackbox kbounce kbruch kbstate
  kdat kde-amusements kde-core kde-icons-mono kdeaccessibility kdeaddons
  kdeaddons-kfile-plugins kdeadmin kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdeartwork
  kdeartwork-emoticons kdeartwork-misc kdeartwork-style
  kdeartwork-theme-icon kdeartwork-theme-window kdeedu kdeedu-data kdegames
  kdegames-card-data kdegraphics kdelibs kdelirc kdemultimedia
  kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdenetwork
  kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepim
  kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-kresources kdepim-wizards kdessh kdetoys
  kdeutils kdewebdev kdnssd kdvi keduca kenolaba kfax kfaxview kfilereplace
  kfloppy kfouleggs kgamma kget kgoldrunner kgpg khangman kicker-applets
  kig kimagemapeditor kitchensync kiten kjumpingcube klaptopdaemon klatin
  kleopatra klettres klettres-data klickety klines klinkstatus kmag
  kmahjongg kmailcvt kmid kmilo kmines kmix kmoon kmousetool kmouth kmplot
  kmrml knetwalk knetworkconf knewsticker-scripts kodo kolf kolourpaint
  kommander kompare konq-plugins konquest konsolekalendar kontact kopete
  korganizer kpat kpercentage kpf kpilot kpoker kpovmodeler kppp krdc krec
  kreversi krfb ksame ksayit kscd kshisen ksig ksim ksirtet ksmiletris
  ksnake ksokoban kspaceduel kstars kstars-data ksvg ksync ktalkd kteatime
  ktnef ktouch ktron kttsd ktuberling kturtle ktux kuickshow kverbos
  kviewshell kvoctrain kwalletmanager kweather kwifimanager kwin4 kwordquiz
  kworldclock kxsldbg libarts1-audiofile libarts1-mpeglib libarts1-xine
  libavahi-core4 libboost-python1.33.1 libconvert-binhex-perl
  libcvsservice0 libdaemon0 libdb4.3++c2 libestools1.2
  libfinance-quote-perl libgadu3 libgstreamer0.8-0
  libhtml-tableextract-perl libindex0 libio-stringy-perl libkdeedu3
  libkdegames1 libkgantt0 libkiten1 libkpimexchange1 libksba8 liblockdev1
  libmal1 libmeanwhile1 libmime-perl libnews-nntpclient-perl libnss-mdns
  libpisock8 libpth2 libsnmp-base libsnmp9 libtidy-0.99-0 libtiff-tools
  libtunepimp-bin libtunepimp3 lilo-config lisa lskat mpeglib networkstatus
  noatun noatun-plugins php-doc phpdoc pinentry-curses pinentry-qt ppp
  python2.3 python2.3-iconvcodec qca-tls quanta quanta-data superkaramba
  tidy ttf-dustin ttf-sjfonts ytalk
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 235 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 397MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] n
Abort.