Re: Cannot mount usb key (and I read the archives)

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 02:27:37PM +0200, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am suffering from exactly the same symptoms as described in bug
> #377689: when inserting a usb key, I get the "A security policy in place
> prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see
> message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume member Mount error name "(unset)"
> destination "org.freedesktop.Hal") ".
>
> However my /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf is as the default in hal
> 0.5.7.1-1 (I have an unstable up-to-date from this morning, 29th of
> August, so 14 days after the bug has been fixed) (see at the end)
>
> My kde version is (for kdebase-kio-plugins) 4:3.5.4-2.
>
> The device is correctly created by udev. Under gnome, the window pops up
> with no problems. I tried with several brands of usb keys.
> The "use hal subsystem" in kontrol-center is enabled (but grayed out,
> like "enabled and not disableable").
>
> pmount invoked on the device just works fine.
>
> Any idea ?

After further investigation it seems that adding myself to the plugdev
group in /etc/group works, but using the facility of
/etc/security/group.conf :

gdm;*;*;Al0000-2400;cdrom, audio, video, hal, plugdev, users, fuse,
scanner, floppy, console
login;*;*;Al0000-2400;cdrom, audio, video, hal, plugdev, users, fuse,
scanner, floppy, console
ssh;*;*;Al0000-2400;users, fuse

which yields correcly the plugdev and others groups in the terminal when
typing "groups", does not work.

I presume that this is because of the "slave" structure of KDE.

I really would like to know what are the precise messages sent by KDE,
and by which user/group combination.

However, I am sorry to say that 377689 is not fixed, but the fault may
not be in hal anymore.

Or is the /etc/security/groups.conf not supported?