Re: Device icons lost from desktop (KDE 3.5.3)

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 11:32:41 +0300, Martins Krikis wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Looks like my recent system upgrades are preventing all
> non-manually-created device icons from appearing on the desktop.
> Sessions that haven't been restarted still have them, new
> ones don't. This is happening on both machines that I've
> recently upgraded.
>
> The relevant fstab entries:
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/hdd        /media/cdrom1   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
> /dev/sdc1       /media/usbmem0  vfat    noauto,user     0       0
> /dev/sdd1       /media/usbmem1  vfat    noauto,user     0       0
>
> Each of these used to have a corresponding icon (unmounted/mounted)
> on the desktop created by KDE but not anymore. Unchecking/checking
> the box for creating device icons on desktop in kcontrol doesn't
> help.
>
> Thinking that it may be time to start using hal and pmount, I just
> installed them. Even added the proposed fix for the expected
> removable-device mounting breakup in KDE 3.5.4. None of this
> helped and I'm still lacking any auto-created device icons on the
> desktop.

The missing policy entry in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf (I assume that
is the bug you are referring to) breaks the mounting of the devices, but
as far as I know it does not interfere with the icons on the desktop. So
let's look at a few other things:

1) To get the obvious out of the way: Try to log out from KDE, restart
   dbus, restart kdm (if you use it) and log in again. This might be
   enough to restore the icons.

2) Check if udev creates the device nodes in /dev, e.g. /dev/sdx1 when
   you plug in a usb stick. You can also use "udevmonitor" (as root) or
   the syslog entries.

3) My suspicion is that something goes wrong with hal on your box. You
   can use "lshal --monitor" to see what happens when you plug in a
   device or insert a CD. For example, this is what I get when I connect
   a usb stick:

   $ lshal --monitor

   Start monitoring devicelist:
   usb_device_67b_2515_noserial added
   usb_device_67b_2515_noserial_if0 added
   usb_device_67b_2515_noserial_usbraw added
   usb_device_67b_2517_noserial added
   usb_device_67b_2517_noserial_if0 added
   usb_device_67b_2517_noserial_if0_scsi_host added
   usb_device_67b_2517_noserial_usbraw added
   usb_device_67b_2517_noserial_if0_scsi_host_scsi_device_lun0 added
   storage_serial_Prolific_Technology_Inc__USB_Mass_Storage_Device added
   volume_uuid_DC36_FC24 added

   The last two lines take a bit longer to appear and the icons on the
   desktop should pop up at exactly the same moment.

Hopefully you will observe something that gives us a hint where things
go wrong.

--
Regards,
          Florian